Due to to the Covid-19 Pandemic, and out of an abundance of caution, the library buildings are currently closed to the public (7/28/20).
Limited library services are available during our SPECIAL SUMMER SERVICE HOURS (Curbside pickup, computer loans, contactless copying, printing, faxing, virtual programs (see our Facebook and Instagram pages for program details, and Summer Reading program for all ages.))
Monday 9 am to 3 pm TYLER
Tuesday 9 am to 3 pm FOSTER
Thursday 3 pm to 8 pm TYLER
Friday 3 pm to 8 pm FOSTER
Closed Saturday and Sunday in JULY
The Board of Trustees, the Executive Director and the library staff meet regularly to discuss reopening plans. The Libraries are following State regulations and guidance from the State Office of Library Services, as well as information on the State Department of Health website.
The libraries are following a phased reopening and are currently in Phase Two as of July 28, 2020
Phased Reopening for The Libraries of Foster
Prepared by K. Chansky, Executive Director, for the Libraries of Foster
*The Libraries are in PHASE TWO as of 7/28/20
PHASE ONE April 20, 2020 – May 31, 2020
Building: Closed to the public.
Library Services: Contactless, Curbside pickup during reduced hours to by appointment
Programming: All virtual programming.
Staffing: Minimal staffing in the buildings (Director plus one regular part time worker); Remote library work as much as possible for staff not working in the buildings.
Staff & Patron Safety
- Covid-19 Control Plan printed for front desks
- Safety procedures in the Opening/Closing procedures in use
- Separate workstations at more than 6 feet from one another
- Minimum physical distance of 6 feet from each other in the building
- Masks are worn by staff at all times inside the buildings
- Weekly cleaning of the buildings and daily cleaning of the workstations
Hours: no public hours
- Covid-19 physical distance signage outside the library
- Handwashing and physical distancing signs posted inside the buildings.
Communication: Website and social media postings on library safety and on contactless curbside pickups.
STATEWIDE GUIDELINES: Stay at home in effect; face covering required; physical distancing of 6-foot minimum in effect, parks, schools, non – essential businesses closed. No groups larger than 5 people and with physical distancing.
OLIS SAFETY & REOPENING ADVISORIES: Staff are working at a minimum six-foot distance. Staff are assigned their own computer peripherals. Cleaning & disinfecting procedures are followed. Delivery as needed or requested but not on a weekly schedule.
PREPARATIONS FOR NEXT PHASE (Phase Two):
- Set up seating, & computers, to be at minimum 6 feet apart.
- Remove extra chairs, toys, extra computers
- Purchase a supply of disinfecting wipes, disposable gloves, and disposable masks.
- Purchase or make signage
- Set up new hand disinfecting stations
- Set up unique staff workstations for additional workers
PHASE TWO June 1 to date (as of July 28, 2020)
Building: Closed to the public
- Contactless, Curbside by appointment continues
- Increased hours for curbside appointments
- Faxing, Printing, and Copying for the public by appointment
- No access to computers inside the building and no public in the building
- Limited library programming using outdoor library spaces supervised by library staff present at the outdoor meetings
- Laptop loans for patrons to use outdoor Wi-Fi, on library property, weather permitting.
Programming: All virtual programming. Limited outdoor library programming for small groups under 10 people.
Staffing: Same staffing as in Phase One but more hours in the buildings to meet curbside pickup demand, to offer library services such as copying, printing, faxing and reference services in a contactless manner. Remote work as much as possible.
Staff & Patron Safety:
- Hand sanitizer stations installed in the buildings
- Staggered Parton curbside appointments to avoid more than one person arriving for an outdoor pickup
- Staff are working at a minimum six-foot distance and wear masks.
- Staff are assigned their own computer peripherals
- Cleaning & disinfecting procedures are followed. Buildings cleaned weekly; workstations cleaned daily
- Covid-19 Screening Tool is used by staff and posted outside the buildings.
- Opening/Closing procedures are in place and implemented
- Outdoor programming supervised by library staff
Hours: Staff work in shifts of maximum two persons per shift, and shifts are 72 hours apart. Starting in August, 2020, additional staff work hours are added reducing time between shifts from 72 hours down to minimum of 60 hours between work shifts. Staff work in teams of 2 people per shift.
STATEWIDE GUIDELINES: Stay at home recommended but not required; face covering recommended; social distancing of 6-foot minimum recommended, parks open, some, but not all businesses open. Schools closed, and some limited childcare centers and camps open. Groups of 10 or more allowed.
OLIS SAFETY & REOPENING ADVISORIES: Deliveries on a weekly schedule, but fewer deliveries, not a pre-Covid schedule, and deliveries should be quarantined 72 hours, unless a Monday delivery when the recommended quarantine time is reduced to 48 hours.
PREPARATIONS FOR NEXT PHASE (Phase Three):
- Plexiglas screens for the front desk to keep public at 6 – foot distance
- Install signage to enforce new policies and procedures
- Prepare public computer stations for patron use at Stage Three
- Staff trained on using Quick Assist in Windows 10 to help patrons remotely with computer questions.
- Test and improve Wi-Fi outside each library for outdoor Internet use.
- Set up outdoor furniture for Small groups, 10 or less, outside the libraries in seating areas, provided the public wears masks and keeps a minimum of 6 feet from each other. Masks wearing follows State regulations.
- Place markers on outdoor walkways to indication 6-foot distances.
- Installation of window fans at workstations to use when A/C is not in use.
PHASE THREE (no date set to begin Phase Three as of 7/28/20)
Building: Open to the public by appointment on a limited basis.
- Contactless, Curbside by appointment continues.
- Faxing, Printing, and Copying for the public by appointment.
- Reference services provided by phone and email
- In-person pickups, computer use and browsing. One person at a time is allowed inside the libraries, by appointment, for no more than a half hour at a time, to do pickups, computer use, or browsing of collections.
- No more than 1 person per 100 square feet may enter the building, aside from library staff and physical distances of a minimum of 6 feet must be maintained by all persons (public and staff) in the buildings.
- Outside new book displays and book sale browsing permitted with appropriate mask wearing, outdoor safety signage, and with a hand sanitizing station placed outside on library grounds.
Programming: Virtual programming continues. Outdoor programs for adults in groups less than 10.
Staffing: Same staffing as in Phase Two but more hours for staff to work in the buildings to meet curbside pickup demand and limited in-library services (copying, faxing, scanning, and limited book browsing and limited computer use). Remote work continues as an option for library staff. The library staff is providing more library service hours for appointments than at Phase Two.
Staff & Patron Safety:
- Physical distancing and mask wearing required.
- No more than one person per 100 square feet in the buildings aside from two library workers (given our small buildings this means only one person from the public at a time in the buildings with two staff workers.)
- Use of the building by the public is by appointment for pickups, browsing and computer use.
- All public visits are restricted to a half hour per visit.
- Outdoor seating areas are limited to 10 people at one time. Patrons outside must remain a minimum of 6 feet apart and wear a mask as required by State regulations.
- Enhance cleaning is continued with weekly building cleaning and daily workstation cleaning.
Hours: Increased staff hours. Limited open hours.
STATEWIDE GUIDELINES stay at home lifted, all businesses, parks, childcare centers, some camps for children open. Masks and physical distancing required. Groups of more than 10 allowed.
The public is allowed in buildings where there is a minimum of 100 square feet per individual.
OLIS SAFETY & REOPENING ADVISORIES: Updates on library safety and library signage are posted regularly on the OLIS website for Reopening. Library staff are to check daily for updates.
PHASE FOUR (no date set to begin Phase Four as of 7/28/20)
Building: Open to the public. Fully Staffed.
Library Services: Regular hours and most services offered; some restricted areas for older adults and persons with underlying health conditions; and children restricted to children’s areas.
Programming: Small groups can meet in the libraries and small group programming held along with virtual programming.
Staffing: Fully staffed.
STATEWIDE GUILDELINES: business as usual. Schools open. Groups of more than 50 may meet. Covid-19 vaccine and testing are widely available.
OLIS SAFETY ADVISORIES: Full services with regular hours; regular deliveries. Libraries must check the OLIS website for library safety updates.