* The Libraries of Foster provide public access to the Internet as part of its mission to deliver services and materials to meet the information needs of its customers.
* The Libraries of Foster upholds and affirms the right of each individual to have access to constitutionally protected materials. The Library also affirms the right and responsibility of parents and legal guardians to determine and to monitor their children’s use of Library materials and resources.
* The Library’s workstations are in public areas. Since others may be involuntarily exposed to what is viewed, the Library asks that each user exercise good judgment and consideration of others. Please bear in mind that some materials, such as sexually graphic materials, may well be more appropriate for viewing in the privacy of your home, rather than in a Public Library setting. If Library staff become aware of subject matter that would interfere with the maintenance of a safe, welcoming and comfortable environment for the public, the Internet user will be asked to end a search or change a screen.
* The Library wishes to make the Internet and all computer resources available to anyone who respects the rights and property of others, and who abides by the Library’s rules and procedures. Failure to appropriately consider the rights of others may lead to the loss of computer privileges for a finite period.
* The Libraries of Foster offers filtered access to the Internet by default. Unfiltered access is available on a per session basis. Juvenile customers under 17 years of age are required to obtain parental consent for unfiltered access per session.
* The Library staff is available to facilitate use of the Internet and to answer questions or concerns.
* The Library has created home pages for children and teens that provide content and links to other Web sites that contain age-appropriate information.
* The Library provides access to the Internet for the purpose of researching electronic information resources. Users may browse, print, or transfer files to diskettes.
* Libraries of Foster disclaims any warranty as to the quality or accuracy of electronic information via the Internet. Libraries of Foster shall have no liability for any direct, indirect or consequential damages related to the information contained therein. The library does not guarantee privacy or confidentiality for the use of library Internet stations.
* The Library’s Internet stations may not be used for any purpose that violates U.S., state or local laws. Users must respect all copyright laws and licensing agreements pertaining to software files and other resources obtained via the Internet.
* Library Internet users may not attempt to alter or damage computer hardware or software. Software must not be installed or run from any diskette drive. The Library does not allow the use of personal software.
* Library equipment may not be unplugged, moved, removed, or otherwise modified. Users may not attempt to reconfigure systems or software or in any way interfere with the system set-up.
* Users may not use the network to make unauthorized entry or hack into other computational, informational, or communication services or resources. Users may not invade the privacy of others or engage in any activity that is harassing, defamatory or threatening; or receive or display text or graphics which may reasonably be construed as obscene as defined by law.
* All Library users are expected to use library resources, including the Internet, in a responsible and courteous manner, consistent with the educational and informational purposes for which the resources are provided. Violations may result in the loss of Internet use and/or library privileges.
* Illegal activities will be subject to prosecution by the appropriate law enforcement authorities.